Portland, OR Musicians' Resources

Collection of Performance Royalties

Copyright registration entitles the composer to PERFORMANCE ROYALTIES whenever the musician's composition is performed publicly, i.e., over radio, television, or in restaurants, bars or other public places. In the United States Performance royalties are collected and administered by ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.

These performance rights organizations have huge catalogs containing most recorded compositions. They sample the public "airwaves" (public performances) and divide up the royalties they collect to those music publishers/writers who compositions are in their catalogs. Information about a composition's author can be obtained from ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. This is also very helpful when obtaining mechanical licenses.

For foreign Performing Rights societies, contact the following organizations: In England: PRS; in the Netherlands: BUMA; in Germany: GEMA; in Norway: TONO; in New Zeland and Australia APRA; and in Belgium SABAM.

^   t o p

Copyright  © 2006 Jay M. Schornstein.  Site by dhjazzdesign