Portland, OR Musicians' Resources

Copyright in Compositions

Composer/musicians should promptly obtain copyright registration for all original compositions. Information about copyright registration, and registration forms (usually from PA or SR) may be obtained from the United States Copyright Office. The forms and circulars are available on their website in PDF format. Typically Form PA (with instructions) is used to obtain copyright solely in compositions. Further information about Form PA may be obtained from Circular 50 - Musical Compositions. See also Circular 56a - Copyright Registration of Musical Compositions for an explanation of the differences between copyright in compositions and in sound recordings.

Also, remember to keep good records of your copyrights.

  As noted above, copyright forms and circulars,      are in PDF format. In order to view or print them, is necessary to have Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Copyright  © 2006 Jay M. Schornstein.  Site by dhjazzdesign